Microsoft Corporation helps its users to update all applications with the help of Internet. Yes.
Microsoft Windows Update works with the programs and keep the Computer running without any issues.
Whenever Windows Updates happens, this Windows Update programs keep the update installation files on your computer’s hard drive which eats more space on your drive. This tutorial shows how to delete Windows Update Cache Files easily.
The Windows Update Cache Fies will be downloaded and placed in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. Day by Day the size of this folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download will be increased and this will occupy a huge space in the hard drive. We will analyze how to get rid of Windows Update Cache Files.
The Primary reasons to Clean up Windows Update Cache Files are;
- You’re running Out of Disk Space on your Computer.
- Windows Updates Failing.
Cleaning up the Windows Update Cache will resolve above 2 issues.
How to delete Windows Update Cache Files ?
- Turn OFF Windows update service
- Go to Command Prompt and type net stop wuauserv and press enter.
- Now Open File Explorer (My Computer) Go to View >> Folder Options >>
- Enable the “Display of hidden Files and Folders“.
- Now Navigate to the path C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. Now you’re good to delete the contents of the Download folder.
- Again open the command prompt and type net start wuauserv , it will restart the Windows Update service.
If you want to delete Using a batch file Windows Update Cache Files using batch file the please follow below steps.
- Create a batch file and name it. For an instance (Purge) and use it as a shortcut to clear the content (purge) of the Windows Update cache when it is needed.
- Now Open Notepad app and paste below commands;
DEL /F /S /Q Download
- Save As this file and locate this file (Purge.bat) anywhere in your computer.
- Now double click the .bat file purge.bat, it will start and cleanup the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder as per the script.
- Ensure that the Windows Update Service has been stopped during this folder cleanup.
This tutorial will help you when you want to cleanup spaces in your hard drive, or if you have any problem during Windows Update.